Thursday, August 14, 2008

Harley Davidson

Russell had always wanted a Harley. Personally, I could have lived with out him ever owning one, let alone riding one on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe my wonderful hubby deserves to have a toy or two, but I am was not convinced it needed to be a Harley. He does already own one very well keep older bike that he does not even ride.


About four years ago Russell went to Auburn Harley and picked out a bike. He negotiated with the salesman, and convinced the guy not to sell the thing over-night while he went home and talked me into signing the financial paperwork which would make those lovely monthly payments a joint responsibility. I have to give him credit, Russ was very creative how he went about it. He told me he wanted to take me on a date, stop and have lunch and go for a drive towards Grass Valley.


I thought he was being so romantic! To spend a day with my husband, just relaxing and enjoying each other's company sounded like Heaven. Until we arrived at Auburn Harley "just to look" and the sales man greeted my husband by name. Hmmmm.... 'kay folks, I was not born yesterday. Russell showed me this beautiful black and chrome machine, and even offered to take me for a ride. (yea, like that was going to change my mind!) We went for a lovely ride, but ~ alas, my will for him not to own a Harley was stronger than his desire. At the time.


A little more than two years ago, Russell came up with a much better "plan of attack" to secure his dream of owning a Harley. Instead of purchasing a new Harley, he would adopt one that had been previously used. It was about 6 months old, and had been well maintained. When he first told me about it, I refused to even go look at it. (Major purchases require both of our signatures and approval in our household.) But, then he kept sending me phone pictures of it, and I had to admit it was rather appealing.


After only 48 hours of begging and pleading, and trying to get me to accept this black Special Edition Soft Tail I agreed to go and see it. I have to admit, within seconds of seeing it in person, stroking its sleekness and hearing its motor run, I was as hooked as my hubby on the thing.


So, after filling out all the appropriate paperwork, and making sure we were well equipped for ownership, we took Russell's black, special edition, 6 month old Harley Davidson home. I have to say, it is one of the best purchases we have ever made. And, I love to be able to tell our family, friends and co-workers that I finally gave in and bought Russ his Harley.


We've had it for almost 3 years now, and I love this Harley more than I thought possible. In fact, Russ, Manda and I adore the beast. Here is a picture of Russell's pride and joy:


Oh yeah, I guess I failed to mention that Harley is a black cat! We adopted him from the Placer County SPCA after Russell fell in love with him and had to bring him home. This is the only Harley Russ will ever own. Isn't he adorable?

No comments: