Wednesday, July 23, 2008

And this person is proud of this fact?

http://www.kcra.com/entertainment/16963923/detail.html

After reading the headline of the article above, I knew what my blog was going to be about today: my belief on abortion.

I do not believe in abortion as a method of birth control. If a person is mature enough to make the choice to have a sexual relationship, then that person needs to be mature enough to understand the implications of having sex: pregnancy and STD's are but two concerns connected to intercourse.

If you do not want to have children, then do not have unprotected sex, or rely on just one method of birth control and NEVER allow the other person to be in charge of protection. Take the time to make a mature decision about sex. Unfortunately that is an oxymoron in and of itself as many times the couple whom are engaging in sexual activity are not mature enough to act in a responsible manner. (Or they wouldn't be having sexual relations outside of a committed relationship where both parties have made informed decisions about the future of the relationship.)

If you are not in a monogamous relationship, sexual activity should not even be occurring. In today's society our children and teens are taught about sexual diseases and contraceptives in elementary school. There is no reason not to have an education about the complications of sexual intercourse.

We all know that children are not gotten from the cabbage patch, or bought from the local discount store.

Children are conceived through the swapping of bodily fluids during sex.

Conception can be prevented.

Conception should be prevented if you do not want to have children.

Once a child is conceived, it should not be treated like your cable service and "terminated" just because you can't afford to pay the price. The life of a child is precious. I believe that only God and Mother Nature have the ultimate right (through miscarriage) to terminate a pregnancy at will.

Don't get me wrong, I will state that I have a somewhat flexible stance in my beliefs.

I do believe that if a woman conceives through the violent act of rape (and I am not talking "date rape" where the woman most likely knows her attacker, but a rape committed as an act of random violence) she should have the right to a safe and legal abortion.

I do believe that if a woman's health seriously is compromised (especially if she already has other children) by the pregnancy and carrying the child would more than likely lead to a vegetative state or her death, then the woman should have the right to a safe and legal abortion.
I do believe that if a child is conceived through an act of incest, then abortion should be an option.

I do believe that if a child is conceived by an mentally unstable, or severely mentally challenged woman who is not capable of making mature decisions, then abortion should be a legal, safe option.

Notice I do say that abortion should be an option. It should not be an automatic choice. But I do believe that that "final, no other choice is acceptable" option of abortion should be a legal, safe right.

I just think abortions are used far too often as an easy out. I do not believe that abortion should ever be the option when two people who should have been responsible were not mature enough to prevent pregnancy from occurring.

Abortion is a radical procedure that involves taking the life of a fetus.

Choose to abstain, choose to prevent, choose to make mature decisions.

No comments: