Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Peanut Butter and Jelly


What is it about a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that is so satisfying? Is it because most people ate them as kids? Is it the sweet and salty smoothness? Is it the classic white bread?

I don't really have an answer to my question, I just know that I really do enjoy a great PB&J once in awhile.

My favorite PB&J is made with white bread, smooth peanut butter (no crunchy for me please!) and a full bodied jam. I really am partial to Smuckers jams and jellies, but I'll enjoy the less expensive brands just as much as long as they are not lacking flavor. As a little girl my mom and grams used to make plum jam that was THE BEST. I even seem to remember a plum cherry mix. Oh! the taste and smell of their jam was yummy. I like apricot, raspberry, blackberry and strawberry jams, but I have to admit, plum is my very favorite.

As an adult I have used plum and apricot jams to cook with. I love chicken slow roasted with apricot jam or pork chops marinated with plum jam. Delicious!

I love peanut butter and jelly on saltine crackers, on a bagel, on toast, pancakes and waffles. Oh! and Goofy's Kitchen at the Disneyland Resort makes a slightly unusual, but completely yummy PB&J pizza. It's soooo good.

Recently my sister in law turned me on to a great apricot peach preserve that is beyond divine. I have to admit, when it's in the house, no other jam or jelly can compare to its fruity wholesome yummy-ness. The color, the texture the scent alone are very satisfying ~ but the taste is, DEVINE! Check out Sarabeth's

No comments: